Crab Rangoons never have enough filling inside to satisfy me so I decided to make my own recipe and call them Crab Eggoons (yes I made that up haha) giant egg roll wrappers filled with the rangoon goodness. Just use any basic crab rangoon filling and add it to egg rolls wrappers instead of the small wonton wrappers. I sprayed lightly on both sides with canola oil and put in the air fryer until desired crispness. You can fry in oil as well.
□one package imitation crab
▢2 blocks cream cheese softened
▢1 green onion finely sliced
▢¼ teaspoon garlic powder
▢1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
(I like to add sugar in the mix as well)
Crab Eggoons Recipe:
- 1 package imitation crab, finely chopped
- 2 blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Eggroll wrappers
- Canola oil for spraying
- Sugar (optional, to taste)
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the finely chopped imitation crab, softened cream cheese, finely sliced green onion, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add Sugar (Optional):
- If you like a hint of sweetness, add sugar to the mixture. Adjust the amount based on your taste preferences. Mix until the sugar is evenly distributed.
- Prepare Eggroll Wrappers:
- Lay out the eggroll wrappers on a clean surface. Ensure they are at room temperature for easy handling.
- Place a heaping spoonful of the crab and cream cheese filling onto the center of each eggroll wrapper.
- Assemble the Eggoons:
- Fold the sides of the wrapper over the filling, then fold the bottom and roll tightly. Seal the edges with a small amount of water to ensure they stick together.
- Preheat Air Fryer or Heat Oil:
- Preheat your air fryer according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Alternatively, if you prefer frying, heat oil in a deep fryer or a large, deep pan to 350°F (175°C).
- Air Frying:
- Lightly spray both sides of the assembled Crab Eggoons with canola oil.
- Place the Eggoons in the air fryer basket, making sure they are not touching.
- Air fry at 375°F (190°C) for 8-10 minutes or until the wrappers are golden brown and crispy.
- Deep Frying (Alternative):
- If frying in oil, carefully place the Crab Eggoons into the hot oil, a few at a time, and fry until golden brown on all sides. Use a slotted spoon to remove and drain on paper towels.
- Allow the Crab Eggoons to cool slightly before serving.
- Optionally, serve with a dipping sauce of your choice, such as sweet and sour sauce or a soy-based dipping sauce.
Enjoy your delicious and generously filled Crab Eggoons – a delightful twist on the classic Crab Rangoons
Here are some tips to ensure your Crab Eggoons turn out delicious and perfect:
- Chop Imitation Crab Finely:
- To ensure a good distribution of crab flavor throughout the filling, finely chop the imitation crab. This also helps in creating a smoother texture in the filling.
- Soften Cream Cheese Properly:
- Make sure the cream cheese is softened to room temperature before mixing. This will make it easier to combine with the other ingredients, resulting in a smoother and more consistent filling.
- Thoroughly Mix the Filling:
- Mix the ingredients well to ensure even distribution of flavors. A thoroughly mixed filling will provide a balanced taste in every bite.
- Adjust Sugar to Taste:
- The addition of sugar is optional, and the amount can be adjusted according to personal preference. Taste the filling and add sugar gradually until you reach the desired level of sweetness.
- Properly Seal the Eggoons:
- Ensure that the edges of the eggroll wrappers are properly sealed to prevent the filling from leaking during cooking. Use a small amount of water on the edges to help them stick together securely.
- Preheat Air Fryer or Oil:
- Preheat your air fryer or oil to the recommended temperature before cooking. This ensures that the Crab Eggoons cook evenly and achieve a crispy texture.
- Use Canola Oil for Air Frying:
- If air frying, lightly spray both sides of the assembled Crab Eggoons with canola oil. This helps in achieving a golden brown and crispy exterior similar to deep frying.
- Avoid Overcrowding:
- Whether air frying or deep frying, avoid overcrowding the cooking space. Cook the Eggoons in batches to ensure they have enough room to cook evenly.
- Monitor Cooking Time:
- Keep a close eye on the Crab Eggoons while they are cooking. Air fryers and oil temperatures can vary, so adjust the cooking time as needed to achieve the desired crispiness.
- Serve Promptly:
- Enjoy the Crab Eggoons while they are fresh and hot. The crispy texture is best enjoyed immediately after cooking.
- Experiment with Dipping Sauces:
- Enhance the dining experience by trying different dipping sauces. Sweet and sour sauce, soy-based sauces, or even a spicy mayo can complement the flavors of the Crab Eggoons.
Q: Can I use real crab instead of imitation crab? A: Absolutely! You can substitute real crab for imitation crab in this recipe. Make sure to cook and finely shred the crab meat before mixing it into the filling.
Q: Can I prepare the Crab Eggoons ahead of time? A: Yes, you can assemble the Crab Eggoons ahead of time and refrigerate them until you’re ready to cook. Ensure they are covered to prevent drying out. However, for the best results, it’s recommended to cook them just before serving for optimal crispiness.
Q: Can I freeze Crab Eggoons? A: Yes, you can freeze uncooked Crab Eggoons. Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer, ensuring they are not touching, and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag or airtight container. When ready to cook, air fry or deep fry them directly from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
Q: Can I use a different type of wrapper? A: While eggroll wrappers are recommended for this recipe, you can experiment with other wrappers such as spring roll wrappers or even traditional wonton wrappers for smaller-sized appetizers.
Q: What dipping sauces go well with Crab Eggoons? A: Crab Eggoons pair well with various dipping sauces. Consider sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce mixed with a bit of honey, or a spicy mayo dip. Feel free to get creative with your favorite dipping sauces.
Q: Can I bake Crab Eggoons in the oven instead of frying or air frying? A: Yes, you can bake Crab Eggoons in the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C), place the assembled Eggoons on a baking sheet, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Q: How do I prevent the filling from leaking during cooking? A: Ensure that the edges of the eggroll wrappers are properly sealed. Press the edges together firmly, and use a small amount of water to help create a secure seal. Additionally, avoid overstuffing the wrappers to prevent leakage.
Q: Can I add other ingredients to the filling? A: Absolutely! Feel free to customize the filling by adding ingredients like minced garlic, grated ginger, or finely chopped water chestnuts for added crunch. Adjust the seasonings to your taste.
Q: Can I use a different cooking method if I don’t have an air fryer or prefer not to fry? A: Yes, you can bake the Crab Eggoons in the oven or pan-fry them with a small amount of oil. Adjust the cooking time and temperature accordingly, keeping an eye on them to achieve the desired crispiness.