This was about $14 to make. My husband said this is his new favorite meal.
It’s a Frito taco pie.
We did buy a lot of it store brand to save money.
-crescent rolls (I messed up so you can’t see them)
-Fritos (we used store brand, tasted the same and we saved $3)
-Mexican blend cheese
Frito Taco Pie Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can (16 oz) refried beans
- 1 can (8 oz) crescent rolls
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Fritos (store brand or your preferred brand)
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven according to the instructions on the crescent roll package.
- Cook the Ground Beef: In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until browned. Drain excess fat if needed.
- Taco Seasoning: Add the taco seasoning to the cooked ground beef according to the packet instructions. Mix well and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Prepare the Crescent Rolls: Lay out the crescent roll dough in the bottom of a greased 9×13-inch baking dish, pressing the seams together to form a crust. If using a crescent roll sheet, simply roll it out to fit the dish.
- Layer the Ingredients:
- Spread the refried beans evenly over the crescent roll crust.
- Next, layer the seasoned ground beef on top of the beans.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the beef.
- Add a layer of Fritos on top of the cheese.
- Repeat Layers:
- Repeat the layers with the remaining cheese and Fritos.
- Bake: Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake according to the crescent roll package instructions or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once out of the oven, let it cool slightly.
- Top with shredded lettuce.
- Serve slices of the Frito Taco Pie with a dollop of sour cream on each portion.
- Enjoy: Dig in and savor the delicious combination of flavors and textures in this budget-friendly Frito Taco Pie!
This recipe is not only tasty but also a hit for those who enjoy the crunch of Fritos combined with the classic flavors of a taco. Feel free to customize it with additional toppings like diced tomatoes, green onions, or jalapeños based on personal preferences
Here are some tips to make the Frito Taco Pie recipe even better:
- Prep Ingredients Ahead: Before you start cooking, have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go. This helps streamline the process and ensures that everything is within reach as you assemble the dish.
- Crescent Roll Tips:
- Make sure to press the seams of the crescent rolls together well to avoid any gaps in the crust.
- If you have a crescent roll sheet, it can be rolled out to fit the baking dish easily.
- Customize the Taco Seasoning:
- Adjust the amount of taco seasoning according to your spice preference. You can add more or less depending on your taste.
- Layering Order Matters:
- The order of layering matters for optimal taste and texture. Placing the beans directly on the crescent roll crust helps create a barrier and prevents the crust from becoming soggy.
- Cheese Distribution:
- Distribute the shredded cheese evenly to ensure a gooey, cheesy bite in every serving.
- Crunchy Fritos:
- Add the Fritos just before serving to maintain their crunchiness. This will give a delightful contrast to the other textures in the dish.
- Explore Toppings:
- While the recipe includes lettuce and sour cream, feel free to add your favorite taco toppings such as diced tomatoes, green onions, jalapeños, or even guacamole.
- Serve with Sides:
- Consider serving the Frito Taco Pie with sides like salsa, pico de gallo, or a side salad to enhance the overall meal experience.
- Make It Ahead:
- You can prepare some components of the Frito Taco Pie ahead of time. Cook and season the ground beef, and assemble the layers in the baking dish. Refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake. Just be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly.
- Double-check Baking Time:
- Keep an eye on the baking time, especially towards the end, to avoid overcooking. The goal is to have a golden brown crust and melted cheese.
- Use Quality Ingredients:
- While the recipe is budget-friendly, using good-quality ingredients, especially the cheese, can enhance the overall flavor of the dish.
- Get Creative:
- Don’t be afraid to get creative with the recipe. Add your own twists, such as incorporating different types of cheese, using flavored Fritos, or experimenting with alternative toppings.